httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Havard" <>
Subject Re: APR errno handling finished.
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2000 08:51:42 GMT
On Wed, 5 Apr 2000 21:03:47 -0400 (EDT), wrote:

>> They way I proposed, errno is the 'primary' code on all platforms, which
>> makes the whole concept unnecessary. OS/2 & Win32 are almost identical in
>> their error codes. How can it make sense for them to be handled
>> differetnly? Why should the use of errno on Windows be banned?
>> That would be confusing. The vast majority of OS/2 APR code returns OS/2
>> error codes.
>> I still think my scheme is much simpler, cleaner, and allows everything we
>> want. With the only problem of possible code overflow, it should be easy to
>> prove it a non-issue by checking the code range of all platforms. Win32
>> looks clear, OS/2 never goes over 2^16. What about BeOS?
>> Could everyone look over what I wrote in
>> "Re: ap_status_t for non-unix platforms"
>> and comment on it? I even drew a diagram!
>The one thing you have failed to do then, is code it.  :-)

Didn't I mention that the same message had a patch attacted?

>I just looked at your diagram.  This is exactly what I coded, with some
>minor changes.
>    (We need a place that we can safely create the canonical error
>values.  Currently we use APR_OS_START_SYSERR.  If we use that macro for
>both the offset for OS error codes and canonical error codes, we are
>asking to confuse programmers and to have conflicts between the two

Huh? I though errno/APR codes were the canonical error codes and they
already have space allocated to them.

>3)  Reorder the values so that:
>Done.  That is your proposal exactly.  I have added to it that different
>platforms can use different values for those macros if needed.  If that
>isn't needed, then we just don't #ifdef them.
>I fail to see the difference once the above changes are made.

You suggested the ordering/offsets of the code groups should vary depending
on platform. I didn't. That makes quite a difference.

 |  |  He's a very naughty boy!" - Life of Brian |

View raw message