httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Havard" <bri...@kheldar.apana.org.au>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/include apr_errno.h
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2000 15:20:47 GMT
On Wed, 5 Apr 2000 10:57:09 -0400 (EDT), rbb@apache.org wrote:

>On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Brian Havard wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 4 Apr 2000 23:35:21 -0400 (EDT), rbb@apache.org wrote:
>>
>> >To be honest, what scares me the most is that we are using the same values on
>> >every system.
>>
>> Err, why? I see that as a feature!
>
>It is a feature, but it doesn't work.  This is where APR started
>originally with its error codes, and it was deemed not flexible enough.
>Originally, all systems used the same values for reporting errors, and it
>was flawed.  It couldn't work with Windows, and it looks like we are
>heading back to that same condition now.

I've yet to see any reason WHY it doesn't work.

>If we are going to have all platforms using the same definitions for those
>macros, then why aren't we hardcoding in those numbers?  I agree, any
>platform which can use the same numbers should, but I don't see it working
>in the long run.
>
>As I said in my last note, we have already been told that Windows error
>values should have bit 29 set.  This doesn't do that.  If we use the same
>values on all platforms, then we are assuming that bit 29 will be set for
>APR errors across all platforms.

No, Windows does not require bit 29 set, that was just a scheme proposed by
Jeff inspired by the way Windows works. I proposed something else that I
think is nicer and has no ties to any platform.

I agree with you about the mapping to errno values (mentioned in a previous
message) that it should only be done when actually required via a public
APR function, and no, I can't think of a good name for it either :)