httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: RANT: Absolute Paths and configure
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2000 17:38:39 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:

> > > It would be nice if --disable-threads would be passed to further
> > > configuration when the prefork mpm is chosen by the user.  I guess
> > > this doesn't imply a certain configuration order.
> >
> > No, I disagree.  APR should always be configured for whatever the platform
> > supports.  Apache will just take advantage of what it needs.  IMHO.
>
> I wonder about the notion that if we detect that the platform has
> threads then we're going to use threaded libraries and compile flags
> and such, even if the user has specified that apache shouldn't use
> threads.
>
> Example problem:  There is a little issue on FreeBSD where with prefork
> the main apache process thinks it is being nice and only waking up
> briefly every second but under the covers it is busy looping in the
> thread library and consuming almost all CPU*.  Meanwhile, the processes
> which are really "nice" probably aren't getting any CPU.
>
> *as of a few weeks ago on my FreeBSD 3.4 system
>
> Sure, this is "just a bug", but it isn't clear where the bug is
> anyway.  Aside from bugs, threaded libraries can be slower than normal
> on some systems.  Also, they are not used by nearly as much code so there
> may be issues.

My own take is that the process should go as follows:

   1. MM is configured to determine the availables shared
      memory implementations
   2. APR is then configured which determines what functions
      and capabilities the platform has, relying on MM
      for shared mem.
   3. Apache is then configured to _select_ which of the APR
      capabilities should be used.

So APR determines if threads is available, but Apache determines
whether or not to use it.
                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"