httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: RANT: Absolute Paths and configure
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2000 00:58:39 GMT
> > It would be nice if --disable-threads would be passed to further
> > configuration when the prefork mpm is chosen by the user.  I guess
> > this doesn't imply a certain configuration order.
>
> No, I disagree.  APR should always be configured for whatever the platform
> supports.  Apache will just take advantage of what it needs.  IMHO.

I wonder about the notion that if we detect that the platform has
threads then we're going to use threaded libraries and compile flags
and such, even if the user has specified that apache shouldn't use
threads.

Example problem:  There is a little issue on FreeBSD where with prefork
the main apache process thinks it is being nice and only waking up
briefly every second but under the covers it is busy looping in the
thread library and consuming almost all CPU*.  Meanwhile, the processes
which are really "nice" probably aren't getting any CPU.

*as of a few weeks ago on my FreeBSD 3.4 system

Sure, this is "just a bug", but it isn't clear where the bug is
anyway.  Aside from bugs, threaded libraries can be slower than normal
on some systems.  Also, they are not used by nearly as much code so there
may be issues.

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...