httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: using perl in the configuration process
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2000 14:43:47 GMT
Maybe we interpret this differently, so here is an example that
concerns me (IA definitely NAL).

We have config.guess in several of our directories.  config.guess is
GPL-ed.  We can remove config.guess and say "get the official version
from your favorite GNU archive site" except that one of the
config.guess files -- the one in mm -- has changes that don't
correspond to code in the autoconf CVS (I looked several weeks ago).
I don't know if there are more examples of this problem.

This presents a problem for Certain Organizations which can ship
Apache, want to ship Apache in a form that users can modify/build, but
for some reason can't ship GPL-ed code.  What happens in this case?

By the way... I don't "feel" that this example is infectious but I
really don't know.

I think we need to be extremely close to the following:

. ship a tarball that has absolutely no GPL-ed anything

. tell the user which GNU code they must install on their machine for
  build purposes; this should be from official GNU sources; hopefully
  this won't be many packages and the number of situations where the
  stable GNU release doesn't work will be very few

(to whomever may be offended by this: I personally have no problem
with GPL; no flames please; a screaming 9-month-old grabbing at the
cables on my Ethernet hub is all I can deal with for now)

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...