httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>
Subject Re: RANT: Absolute Paths and configure
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2000 19:46:18 GMT
On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 02:01:07AM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> Python touches more points on the underlying OS than Apache, yet it has a
> very clean configure.in. I see no *inherent* reason for ours to be super
> complex.

Part of the problem is that we're trying to retrofit a configuration
system onto something that didn't have one before. Now that the old
configuration system has been removed, we can do some things to
simplify the process (like eliminating the old ap_config.h). We're
also not taking advantage of APR in places we should be, like thread
detection.

Also, the Makefile setup just feels too complicated to me. I've
actually been pondering replacing everything with one single Makefile,
and eliminating the recursive calls. That's harder to do when you
can't rely on GNU make, but I think it would still be possible. Or, we
could just bring back the old makefile generation code.

> > And until the Software
> > Carpentry guys come through (assuming that their implementation
> > doesn't require Python on users' machines), there is nothing better
> > out there that I know of.
>
> It will require Python, by definition.

For users as well? That's silly, unless their goal is to force more
users to install Python or to only support Python-based apps.