httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: RANT: Absolute Paths and configure
Date Sun, 02 Apr 2000 18:17:27 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.10004021112110.27626-100000@shell.ntrnet.net> you wrote:

> [..]
>> This configure stuff is a nightmare. I thought it was supposed to be an
>> improvement, but it seems to me to be so incredibly tangled that no-one
>> stands a chance of figuring it out.
> [...]
> I think that autoconf is great when used for a simple program, but the
> more complex the program, the more convoluted the autoconf stuff gets.  If
> you can find a better way to configure this stuff, then I'm behind you.

<grin> You have been warned! IMHO complexity is not really the problem
of Autoconf. It's more that Autoconf's complexity requires a lot
management discipline and a careful and longer thinking period resulting
in a very careful use of Autoconf (don't ask me how long I've thought
about various Autoconf things in GNU Pth ;). As I tried to convince us
a few months ago, Autoconf is great, but _only_ if _not_ used in an
ad-hoc approach. I still think Apache 2.0 can greatly benefit from using
Autoconf, but I also still have to question us whether the (too) fast
approach was reasonable?
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com