httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: RANT: Absolute Paths and configure
Date Sun, 02 Apr 2000 18:51:38 GMT
rbb@apache.org wrote:

> I think we can assume Perl, so I say go for it.

Can we? I'm not sure we can. We still assume old, brain-dead shells.

For mostly everything we are using autoconf for, we already have that
capability with TestCompile. If we could assume more recent
shells, we could functionize a lot of that. But I'm not sure how much
we want to assume stuff.

I know this could be painful, but maybe we need to define what we
want and need in a configure process. I'm willing to take a first
cut stab, and will be as objective as possible. I'll list our
assumptions as well as required functionality. How does that
sound?
                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"