httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <stodd...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Should ap_bread et. al. be modified to work with async i/o APIs?
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2000 17:37:53 GMT
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Bill Stoddard wrote:
>
> > Does it make sense to modify the buff code (ap_bread, et. al) to
directly
> > handle async I/O? As Dean mentioned earlier, this requires buf to
maintain
> > more state information. Here is the reason I'm asking...
>
> it already supports async i/o, are you suggesting to remove that support?
> i'm not sure what you're saying.

It supports non-blocking but not async. The difference: a non-blocking read
will return 0 bytes with a return code to try the read again. Data is not
read into the buffer until the app attemps the read again. An async read
returns 0 bytes read but the kernel fills the buffer when it has data,
regardless of whether app make the next read or not. This completely screws
up ap_bread() and ap_send_fb().

> i'm honestly completely tired of this portability game.

This is not one of those cases.

Bill