httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <stodd...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: MS VC++ with 2.0
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2000 19:43:20 GMT
> Apache has (Unix as their main "language")  developers writing and okaying _all_ CVS
write access Windows code.

Most of my experience with Windows is limited to the Win32 API (file and network i/o
specifically) and the NT kernel. And I do Unix from time to time as well (gotten my hands
dirty in the AIX kernel on occasion). That may disqualify  me as a true Windows developer,
but I do have CVS write access to Apache.

> Apache has (Unix as their main "language") developers porting Unix code to Windows
"keeping" as much Unix type code as possible calling this code sharing.

Absolutely not true in the general case for Apache 2.0

> Apache has (Unix as their main "language") developers doing away with make files for
Windows (the default for Unix types which allows for more developers/variety) but say >
Windows developers have to use VC++ or no CVS write access.

What compiler do you use?  I assume you are not using VC++, right?

> Apache has (Unix as their main "language") developers now saying they do not want to
upgrade to a better product VC++ 6.0 so Windows developers have to use old
> VC++5.0  "ways" and of course you cannot get VC++ 5 there by limiting the number of
Windows developers.

I am interested in anything that will make it easier for good Windows developers to work
on Apache. I am sincerely open to constructive suggestions. It is easy for me to upgrade
to VC++ 6.0 because my company pays for it.  We decided to stick with 5.0 out or respect
for people who cannot afford to spend their own $ for the upgrade.  The whole point is to
reduce barriers to becoming a Windows Apache developer. If this decision is hindering
developers, then it can, should and will be changed.

> Apache has (Unix as their main "language") developers saying Windows must use the C run
time as Unix does on Win32.

Not true in Apache 2.0

> Apache has (Unix as their main "language") developers insisting that ANSI must be used
just like Unix on a UNICODE computer.

I have no experience with UNICODE. If you have knowledge to contribute as applies to
Apache, I'm all ears.

> Apache has (Unix as their main "language") developers saying Windows Apache must be
"console and have one/more processes" just like Unix.

Care to write an MMC snap-in? Now that would be cool.

Bill