httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <stodd...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 and ISAPI
Date Sat, 15 Apr 2000 19:13:30 GMT
> > Bill,
> > This patch is too noisy to review. It is full of space to TAB
> > (or TAB to space)
> > conversions and it is hard to find the relevant changes.
> > Subtract points for poor mailing
> > list form :-)
> >
> > Bill
> >

> http://dev.apache.org/styleguide.html
>
> <cite>
>
> Each level of indentation of code is four spaces. Tab characters should never be used.
>
> </cite>
>
> It was a sh*tty indentation to begin with... it got trounced the moment I touched it.
> Further, it's tested.  What moredayawant?  Yes - it's tabs -> spaces.

We've had this discussion before on the list (before you joined) and I think the concensus
was that reformatting code should be done with a patch or commit that does nothing else
(i.e., doesn't change function). Peer review is very important to our process. If any of
us (even the old timers) were to commit a function change with a lot of tab to space
conversions thrown in, we would get called on it. It surely happend to me early in my
Apache experience.  The key to our quality is lots of beta testers and lots of eyeballs.
And we need to make life as easy as possible for the eyeballs.

Bill