httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "jlwpc1" <jlw...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: MS VC++ with 2.0
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2000 17:44:32 GMT
From: <rbb@covalent.net>

> I guess since the majority of people doing Windows development work are
> using 5.0, we should stick with 5.0.

Let me see if I have this right.  Please forgive me but I have never used Unix and am not
putting Unix down like ASF members do here for _none_ Unix OSs and companies.

Apache has (Unix as their main "language") developers writing and okaying _all_ CVS write
access Windows code.

Apache has (Unix as their main "language") developers porting Unix code to Windows "keeping"
as much Unix type code as possible calling this code sharing.

Apache has (Unix as their main "language") developers doing away with make files for Windows
(the default for Unix types which allows for more developers/variety) but say Windows developers
have to use VC++ or no CVS write access.

Apache has (Unix as their main "language") developers now saying they do not want to upgrade
to a better product VC++ 6.0 so Windows developers have to use old VC++5.0  "ways" and of
course you cannot get VC++ 5 there by limiting the number of Windows developers.

Apache has (Unix as their main "language") developers saying Windows must use the C run time
as Unix does on Win32.

Apache has (Unix as their main "language") developers insisting that ANSI must be used just
like Unix on a UNICODE computer.

Apache has (Unix as their main "language") developers saying Windows Apache must be "console
and have one/more processes" just like Unix.

I could go on and on but.....

So how can a Windows programmer contribute here and still remain "respectful" of themselves
without fighting the OS wars and fighting the Unix programming way, when Apache has (Unix
as their main "language") developers also saying most of the negative put downs?

I guess I too, have to also leave. Nothing I write could be used following the above principles.
I just can't see, as a Windows person, how I can help, but I wanted too.  Sorry.

JLW