httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/lib Makefile.in apr_slack.c
Date Sat, 08 Apr 2000 00:24:09 GMT
> From: rbb@shell.ntrnet.net [mailto:rbb@shell.ntrnet.net]On Behalf Of
> rbb@apache.org
>
> On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
> > rbb@locus.apache.org wrote:
> > >
> > >   Remove the slack stuff from APR.  This isn't actually used
> > >   anywhere in Apache 2.0 anymore.
> >
> > Are we back to only including things in APR that the HTTP server
> > needs?  I thought APR was supposed to provide portability; if
> > the HTTP server needed this in 1.3, is it safe to assume that
> > no-one else will ever want/need it?
>
> I actually asked about the slack stuff a while ago, and
> Dean's response
> was that it wasn't needed.  Here is a basica run-down of his
> reasons (from
> what I remember)  I actually looked thisup in the archives
> yesterday, but
> it took a while to find the correct month.  :-)

I will add an even better argument to this.  The then-current
ap_slack was not terribly portable, and had an ugly #ifdef APACHE
code path that was clearly not useful in other derivative works.

I would support slack if it were well implemented for other
projects, exactly what my forthcoming ap_hooks proposal will
look like.  Not tied with Apache, and portable across apps.

Bill