httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: DLL Base addresses (was: .dsp link options)
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2000 02:29:47 GMT

Doesn't matter... if a dll has been loaded (the stupid volume control
taskbar applet, for that matter) in the same address space, then the
next dll to try to overlay is relocated for it's lifetime.  Every
loaded executable that binds to it needs to rebase their individual
calls.  This slowed down the load by 120% in the original 2.0.  Believe
me, I watch dll's crash against video drivers, groupwise, and just
about anything else.

> > If ANYONE sees a conflict with anything more than some obscure dll,
> > please advise on the list.  We can't predict/test every combination
> > of platforms, so we better be ready to react if it conflicts with
> > something like the novell redirector, etc.  There are no rules to
> > this game :-)
>
> Shouldn't matter.

It seems to.

> > I'll toss together a simple .dll scanner that pulls nothing but the
> > reloc base/length from all the dll's on a machine a reports the used
> > and available pages (they must be on 64k boundries last
> time I checked).

'simpler' solution to be announced in May.