httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject [patches 2.0 & 1.3] src/os/win32/service
Date Sat, 15 Apr 2000 04:24:18 GMT
Three (sorry, couldn't help myself) fixes to 2.0 and one fix to 1.3:

1) [2.0] Move the space stripping of physical service names
   fix up from Apache 1.3.

2) [2.0] #include'ing "ap_mpm.h" fixes up an unresolved symbol.

3) [both] Due to frequent complains of launching Apache as a service,
   and the difficulty of shooting down the issue (when Apache is
   willing to launch from the command line), the patch to each
   module will assure NT first launches TCPIP and AFP (winsock)
   in order to assure that Apache launches smoothly at startup.

Notes; the "Tcpip\0Afd\0" is correct, it's a double null terminated list.

Let's wait on depending upon Rpcss until someone documents a universal
requirement... right now it's only needed for dcom remote processes,
and I really don't want to trip that for security unless someone uses
it from their custom module.  Everything else, under NT, will load it
when CoInitialize is called, so ISAPI and other executable pages will
hook it in later when their apps are served.  95 does have a problem

Bill

Citations;

Jack Repenning <jackr@informix.com>

http://x34.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=533605486&CONTEXT=955768080.186908675&hitnum=0

With reference to

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q197/2/86.ASP

Arunas Salkauskas <arunas@an!m.org>

http://x34.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=582178803&CONTEXT=955768080.186908675&hitnum=1

[Gee, I -hope- these links work for anyone else, sorry if I'm not clear on citing deja]

TODO: provide a reference to the correct error log file,
      or capture the last error and spit it out
      to the system error log on service failure.
      (sorry, but that's the first place any NT admin
      with a brain will look.)

      Prevent the console window from closing on failure,
      until dismissed with close window or sys shutdown,
      and unhide it if necessary (for the next item)...
      Oh... and change the title of the console window
      to "Apache.exe unexpectedly failed" :-)

      Detect 'interacting with desktop' and start with
      a toolbar icon, console window hidden, until the
      toolbar icon is clicked (unhide console window).
      Minimize console will again hide it.

      Implement Windows 95/98 as a service

PLEASE: if you can't read the following as text/plain, tell me!