httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: Four Apache-2.0 fixups
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2000 18:05:24 GMT

Windows 98 - NT offer a new GetFileAttributesEx, with a single
extended attribute structure.  It provides the flags, times,
etc... but doesn't provide names (8.3 or long).  Since Win95
didn't even export the symbol, we are in the current mess.

When 95 tries to launch - the run time tries to resolve that
function and dies.  The dynamic late binding code I submitted
will resolve calls to such functions, but it does need to be
carefully wrapped with the correct if(get_oslevel()) tests to
assure we don't fault.

I could have added significantly more protective code, at the
expense, of course, of execution time.  Once it fails, we
need to die, and address the coding error.  Better messages
are needed.  Recovery is not.

Bill

Simply looking for every opportunity to optimize the startup.
Since ordinals are significantly faster than searching the
export table for symbol names (sounds an awful lot like the
ap_strcmp issues :~) I decided to offer ordinals where they
exist.