httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgaudet-list-new-ht...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: layered I/O (was: cvs commit: ...)
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2000 19:16:27 GMT
On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Dean, this is crossing my tolerance threshold for bullshit.  You haven't
> even looked at the code that was committed.  If you had, you would notice
> that it doesn't implement IO-layering.  What it implements is IO-relaying
> and an infinite handler loop.  This isn't handwaving.  The code simply
> doesn't do IO-layering.  Period.

oh i'm totally sorry!

i wasn't aware that there were ANSI standard definitions for
"IO-layering"!

roy, could you point me at the REQUIREMENTS document which defined these
things?  or did you just pull them out of your head today?

what's the difference between:

	struct iol {
		struct iol *next, *prev;
	};

and:

	ap_iol *create_compress_iol(ap_iol *source);

both of them achieve the same result -- we can stack a layer in there.
except you're just calling the second one a relay.

if you're going to get pedantic on us then i would please ask that you
explicitly create requirements documents with good definitions so that
nobody ever makes the mistake again of mis-interpreting your words.

for what it's worth i disagree completely with your definitions, and with
the necessity of the complexity you're demanding.

Dean