httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgaudet-list-new-ht...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: layered I/O (was: cvs commit: ...)
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2000 22:09:45 GMT
On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Greg Stein wrote:

> I don't believe that the content-generators need to be changed AT ALL.
> They would continue to call ap_rput*() as they do now.

then you haven't thought on it hard enough.

> The content-processors would need to change the following kind of loop:
>
>   content-handler:
>     fd = open()
>     while 1:
>       data = read()
>       if not data:
>         break
>       process_data(data)
>
>   process_data(data):
>     ap_rputs(monkeyed_output)
>
> to:
>
>   some-hook-function:
>     register_processor(process_data)
>
>   process_data(next_layer, data):
>     ap_layer_puts(next_layer, monkeyed_output)
>
> I don't see a big change in the content-processors either.

that's a massive change to the content-processor!

you've just made it so that the content-processor *can't use the stack to
store any context*.  all the context has to be moved to a structure which
is used by each call to the process_data function.

go take a look at mod_include, and tell me you can do this with no change.
if so then i'll be really impressed.

gah, you know -1s coming from folks who haven't worked out this problem
are totally annoying.

> > No, the sub-thread design is a hack just to get it to work.  The
> real way > this should be done, is to re-write mod_include to deal
> well with > streaming data coming from the BUFF structure.
>
> We agree on this at least :-). This was the rest of my email comments.

wow, you agree that content-processors require massive changes... above
you claimed no changes would be required.

Dean