httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgaudet-list-new-ht...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: A couple of important features for 2.0
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2000 00:15:01 GMT

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 rbb@apache.org wrote:

> I disagree.  This doesn't stifle creativity at all, and it doesn't
> increase complexity that much.

you should track linux device driver API changes over the history of
linux, it's a really similar problem.  each time the API was changed (at
the source level even) it was for a desirable feature -- such as cleaner
SMP support, better performance, or improved features at a higher level
(such as improvements in the generic networking layer causing changes to
the underlying drivers).

the problem is a well studied one, and you'd have to do a lot more than
just hand waving to convince me that you've got something new and
wonderful to handle it.

if you do have something new and wonderful, let's start doing it that way
in 2.1 and not delay 2.0 waiting for a demonstration of your new technique
:)

Dean