httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgaudet-list-new-ht...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Server auto-reconfiguration
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2000 00:03:30 GMT
On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, James G Smith wrote:

> Forgetting implementation issues for the moment,

haha.

> I can think of the following
> needed in an API:
>
>   These could be one api call:
>   + modify a simple directive
>   + modify a simple directive within a block
>   + modify a simple directive within a nested block

i know you don't want to consider implementation details, but i really
think you should.  there are performance implications of this which affect
every request, even if you're not changing the configuration.

for example, it means the config information isn't read-only any longer,
so all threads have to lock before reading it.

to be honest i think you should start by describing the use cases which
you want to solve... 'cause you may already be able to do it with the
existing code, or me or others might be able to point you in good
directions.

so far the only case mentioned has been adding a vhost, and the mass
vhosting + .htaccess seems to solve most of that.  there's some odd cases
where things such as Alias don't work in .htaccess files, which could use
some rationalising.  then users can control their entire vhost from
.htaccess.

it'd be easy to add more intelligent .htaccess (and directory tree
structure) caching into apache-2.0 with threads -- it'd certainly be a
win.

Dean