httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgaudet-list-new-ht...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Funny stuff
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2000 20:28:16 GMT
one solution is to build a distributed search engine which takes into
account your personal tastes and can't easily be tainted by corporate
interests.

for example, your search profile is based on the email you read, and the
web pages you visit (through a proxy which collects the stats).  your
profile is augmented by those of people you trust -- the trust model is
part of your profile.

the "distributed" part is something akin to how email/dns work.  for
example, email/dns would never work if there were a single site for either
of them.  they're distributed systems in which no piece has knowledge of
the entire system.

so suppose my trust network includes all of the folks who've ever posted
to new-httpd.  then a search on my trust network could find pages which
all of you have visited -- which, for example, would include a lot of
stuff on java, which is a topic i haven't done much searching/reading on.

when i find that my results are being tainted i make a negative adjustment
to my trust model.

pretty high view of a concept, but i think it's achievable given today's
technology -- it'd just take a few years development.

Dean