httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jwba...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Can't make sense out of process configuration directives
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2000 22:19:05 GMT
On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Scott Hess wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Greg Stein wrote:
> > On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Scott Hess wrote:
> > > StartProcesses specifies how many processes you want Apache to bring
> > > up at launch.
> >
> > Yes, but the point was made that nobody cares how many are brought up at
> > start time (i.e. t==0). Instead, it seems more appropriate to define the
> > constraints at t>0. What is the min/max and how many extra should be
> > sitting around?
>
> The point my posting made is that I _do_ care how many are brought up at
> start time (i.e. t==0).  If I know that I'm likely to be able to fill 50
> requests immediately after startup, then I want to be able to tell Apache
> to be prepared to fill 50 requests immediately after startup.  This is a
> distinctly different option from requesting that I want to have N spares
> sitting around at any given time.

Are you saying that you want Apache to spawn 50 servers right now, but in
the future you won't mind if the server falls below 50?  That seems very
specialized, and even without a StartProcesses directive, Apache would
quickly start spawning enough processes to handle the traffic.

Anyway a patch for the other mpms is forthcoming

-jwb