httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: binary backwards compatability.
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2000 18:58:37 GMT

> > New feature for 2.0.  I outlined how this could be done in the original
> > note for this thread.
>
> You mean?
>
> : 2)  Add a new hook to the server initialization phase.  Basically, this
> : hook allows modules to perform some checks and come out saying I am
> : compatable with this version of Apache.  I am still not sure how this
> : would work
>
> :)

Whoops.  I guess I figure out the answer after I posted.  :-)

The general idea, is a single function, which knows the prototype for each
API function.  Basically, the module repeatedly calls:

ap_check_api("ap_foo", "argument string");
ap_check_struct("request_rec", sizeof(request_rec));

Now, this is obviously bad, because it is using strings, but it is easy to
replace those strings with tokens.  The argument string would be something
like:

"rr ct s i"

where:

rr -- request_rec