httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/dso/os2 Makefile.in dso.c dso.h
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2000 16:41:08 GMT

> The one true error code (errno/GetLastError()/whatever) is not always
> enough.  All that APR gives the caller is the one true error code, but
> sometimes there is additional valuable information which APR has no
> way to return.  A couple of examples of this extra information were given.

Ah, but there is no where for APR to do the logging.  You can't just log
to stderr, because on some systems (Windows), stderr doesn't exist in APR.

> > You still can't get access to this function from the one place in Apache
> > that it is useful.
>
> I didn't propose that Apache do anything other than give APR a
> function that APR could call when there is additional information.  I
> guess I don't understand.

But, where does the log go?  Do you also add a file pointer and Line
number to this function.

> I agree 100% that this has to be done, just as you describe.  I agree
> 99% that it handles 99% of the cases.  I even agree that it has to be
> done first.  But I've been concerned about the inability to trace all
> available diagnostic data, and when some mechanism is invented to save
> stuff like the name of the dll which caused DosLoadModule() to fail
> then I'd like to see it able to save other information as well.

Now you are designing for a problem you haven't had yet.  I would prefer
not to do this until we have actually run into this problem.

>   [Tue Mar 28 16:26:12 2000] [err] ap_bind(): bind()->13/737105AE
>   [Tue Mar 28 16:26:12 2000] [crit] (13)Permission denied: make_sock:
>   could not bind to address 0.0.0.0 port 80

This is an increbily OS/390 specific problem.  If this is what 390
wants/needs, then this needs to be put in a 390 specific directory, and
each function just logs this stuff on it's own.  Since it isn't feasible
for APR to have it's own error log, 390 could just write this stuff out to
stderr.  Regardless, this is non-portable code, and does not belong in the
unix directory.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131