httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: SSL as a layer? Ordering layers? (was: cvs commit: ...)
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:06:08 GMT
On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Greg Stein wrote:
> > <Location /greg>
> >   # my PHP pages output SSI code
> >   Processors PHP SSI
> > </Location>
> > <Location /ryan>
> >   # my SSI pages yank in PHP chunks
> >   Processors SSI PHP
> > </Location>
>
> this example doesn't consider the true complexity that has been asked for:
> the case where we don't know the resulting content-types/TE/etc. until we
> run the handler.
>
> i.e. mod_cgi, java, php, ...

A valid design choice: do the processors/filters run based on
content-type, or do they always run?

You presume the former (more flexible), and I presumed the latter.

It boils down to who has the knowledge about the filter chain. Do the
upstream source/filter know the magic mime types to invoke another filter?
Or is the filter just configured to run for certain directories, files,
etc?

I agree that a dynamic mechanism makes it more difficult.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/