httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/htdocs/manual/developer layeredio.html index.html
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2000 01:05:04 GMT
On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Greg Stein wrote:
>
> > Modules that are interested in inserting a layer should do so during the
> > request processing.
>
> impossible -- mod_cgi doesn't know until it's in invoke_handler that its
> response will need to have other filters stacked on top of it.

Per my other message. Excellent point. Solvable, I believe, by re-running
the "register processors" hook.

> > Content-generating modules should continue to use
> > ap_get_client_block() for reading,
>
> no change was made to this part of the API.

Yes there was. Ryan introduced ap_setup_api(). That appears to be
redundant to ap_setup_client_block().

> > and ap_r* for writing. Layers should be
> > underneath those covers.
>
> impossible without asynchronous handlers.

I'm not sure what you mean by "asynchronous handlers." The processors can
block on a pipe, or use a callback and state machine. Is the state machine
what you meant by async handler?

Cheers,
-g

--