httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: layered I/O (was: cvs commit: ...)
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2000 00:19:11 GMT
On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Mar 2000 rbb@apache.org wrote:
> > > Your sub-thread design for mod_include seems fine, but note that all
> > > processors would need something similar. That general logic probably
> > > belongs in src/main, with a registered callback to process blocks of data:
> >
> > No, the sub-thread design is a hack just to get it to work.  The real way
> > this should be done, is to re-write mod_include to deal well with
> > streaming data coming from the BUFF structure.
>
> We agree on this at least :-). This was the rest of my email comments.

But after a bit more thinking, it is good to clarify something here. It
seems there are two forms that processors could use:

1) A callback with chunks of data; the callback will typically use a
   state machine to process elements of the content

2) A sub-thread mechanism where the module will now read from a pipe
   instead of a file

Option 2 has less impact on today's modules. Option 1 is (maybe?) less
resource intensive since you won't have sub-threads.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/