httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: Server auto-reconfiguration
Date Sun, 26 Mar 2000 22:55:51 GMT
> How badly does graceful restart hurt a running server during high
> loads? If an ISP wants to let customers dork with their vhost
> configuration, I'd think restarting could become a serious drag on
> performance. Compared to that, some reader-writer locks on the config
> data might not be so bad. (Note my wishy-washyness. I haven't measured
> or observed any of these cases, you know this stuff 10**6 times better
> than I do).

If graceful restarts are too slow, then we should fix this, not try to
work around it.  The easiest answer to fix this, is a bit of "extra" space
in the scoreboard.  This would allow us to spawn X number of new child
processes in the new generation before killing off the old children.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131