httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: A hints file or more configure options?
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2000 16:06:24 GMT
On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 07:46:14PM -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > I've been playing around with 2.0 on some older machines running
> > A/UX, my favorite hybrid system. Now A/UX prefers FLOCK mutex
> > rather than FCNTL (others may as well). Now I see 2 ways of
> > handling these: (1) some sort of hints file that primes the cache
> > as it were
>
> +1. This is necessary, because some of the choices in 1.3 were made
> solely for performance reasons. I guess we could test this in the
> configure stage, but I'd rather not. :)

I think "The Right Way" to do this, is to define an ap_config.h for both
Apache and APR, like we used on 1.3.  Then, in configure, when making
decisions, we should check to see if a "hint" was given for that decision
on that platform.  This should solve this problem.  :-)

On that note, we need to clean up the Apache configuration, big time.
Apache is checking for a lot of things it doesn't need to anymore.  If
Apache is using APR, then most of the platform specific checks should be
made by APR, not Apache.  Obviously, there are some checks that Apache
needs (Which MPM to use, comes to mind), but there are others, like time
functions, which Apache should be able to ignore because APR is already
doing the checking.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131