httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: (Probabaly foolish) os.c/os.h question
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:03:42 GMT
On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Brian Havard wrote:

> Some of the stuff already has equivalents in APR. Most notable
> exceptions are DSO loading, iol_socket & file name canonicalization.
> iol_socket is now virtually identical on all os's after being APRized.
> DSO loading belongs in APR somewhere, probably threadproc. Canonical
> filename stuff? Well, that's getting a bit specific to Apache server to
> go in APR but where else?

DSO loading belongs in it's own section of APR, but I haven't had time to
do it.  It is something I have been talking about for about two months
though.  :-)

IOL_Socket should be removed from the os/win directory and one of the
iol_socket.c that uses APR (portable) should be moved to main.  One of the
reasons Windows isn't using APR, is that a lot of the work that has been
done to make things faster on Windows, was done outside of APR, because
APR wasn't ready for that work when it was needed.  That work should all
be moved to APR.

Filename canonicalization can either be done by Apache, or it can be part
of the ap_file_t structure.  I don't really know how Apache-specific this
is, because I assume that any project that has to read files on multiple
platforms needs one file identification method, and then that filename
needs to be canonicalized for the OS it is running on.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131