httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: UDP support in APR/network_io
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2000 14:55:32 GMT

> I use recvfrom in ap_recv and sendto in ap_send. I tried to adapt more
> or less the current scheme implemented. But you are correct the others
> are not in the API. IMHO, APR is also not fully TCP either. APR is
> made for use in Apache and not generic.
> If this would become a seperate generic package it needs
> a lot of adaptions.
> For instance, it is not possible to "poll" or "do a select"
> on pipes and sockets in 1 time. Why, because they use different
> apr-types (ap_file_t and ap_socket_t).

This was a concious decision, because some platforms don't support this

> For instance, no unix-domain sockets can be used.
> WIN32 does not support this. Although, a fallback
> option could be pipes on WIN32. A problem this creates
> is that teh apr-types are different.

This isn't true.  The way to do this, is not call Unix Domain Sockets part
of the network_I/O section.  Unix Domain Sockets are used for IPC, as are
pipes on Windows.  The solution is to create a new APR type, apr_ipc_t,
which uses the correct mechanism on each platform.

Ryan Bloom
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

View raw message