httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Apache auto-reconfiguration discussions
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:57:32 GMT
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, James G Smith wrote:
> Considering that the set of people interested in the Apache
> reconfiguration project is not a proper subset of those
> interested in subscribing to new-httpd, and those on new-httpd
> are not all interested in the details of the project, a mailing
> list has been setup for those wanting to discuss the details of
> the definition and implementation.  Periodic progress reports
> will be made to new-httpd for those that might be interested in
> following the development, but would rather not be involved in
> the day-to-day discussions.  This list also means we don't have
> to keep track in our aliases file of who is currently discussing
> the project.

Typically, discussions just continue right on new-httpd without regard to
interest level. People are quite familiar with the 'd' key and when they
feel like using it :-) Fragmenting discussions and splitting archives
doesn't help much when people want to go back and review discussions /
rationales / designs.

Personally... I'm with Dean on this. Code talks. When all is said and
done, the project members become truly interested only when code shows up.
Sure, there may be some minor discussion about what the right design could
be, but 9 times out of 10, the members wait for code, *then* say the
design is wrong :-). Wasted effort? Possibly. I think it boils down to the
implementor not being able to *succinctly* state their intended design.
When it hits a page of text, the eyeballs glaze up and people just wait
for code...

Cheers,
-g

--