httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 alpha. (again) :)
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:12:56 GMT
Yah, mm was a bad example. Logically, I see it as a part of APR
(especially given that it isn't as portable, as you note).

But on other things which are inherently portable, it sounds like we
agree (e.g. MD5 and SHA1 hashes, arrays and tables, log handling, or cache
mgmt). Some portions go above or below APR; it kind of depends on what APR
itself needs (such as arrays/tables).

For the stuff that APR needs itself, I might even forego the clean
separation and just drop them into APR. Have APR as a standalone, layer
one library on that, and then apps above that. Throwing yet another teeny
library under APR as a dependent of APR seems to be pushing the separation
a bit too far (but I wouldn't mind if it got large enough).

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, David Reid wrote:

> Greg,
> Agreed but we need to be careful.  mm presently only works on Unix & BeOS.
> OS/2 has it's own implementation and so probably will windows, so APR makes
> sense for these, no?
> If something is non-specific and works out of the box on all platforms then
> I see no need to add it to APR and having it as a separate library is a
> better solution.  We just need to look at them when they are suggested.
> david
> > 2) functions which use no OS facilities and are (therefore) inherently
> >    portable.
> >

> > When APR was started, I believed it to be #1 only. The other utility
> > functions are just that -- utilities. They don't serve to make programs
> > more portable. All you're providing is packaging, not portability.
> >
> > Rather than see APR become a big bag of unfocused bits, I'd rather see it
> > become stuff to make things portable. The "general" stuff should go into
> > its own package and compete on merits against things like mhash, mm, glib
> > (not to be confused with glibc), and similar libraries/toolsets.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -g
> >
> > --
> > Greg Stein,