httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 alpha. (again) :)
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2000 01:27:18 GMT
> > APR's job
> > is to provide other projects an easy way to make their code portable, and
> > to provide a library of functions that they won't need to re-implement.
>
> And here's the rub. I think there needs to be more of a focus here
> than that.  With this as the only crieteria for inclusion in APR, it
> then can swallow the functionality of GUI widget libraries, XML
> parsers, cryptography code, database access interfaces, PostScript
> parsing, WebDAV filesystem abstraction, and distributed DoS attacks.
> :)

Let's take these one at a time.

GUI widgets:  Yep, these would be potential candidates if enough people
wanted it, and it could easily be isolated from the rest of the code.

XML parsers:  No, this isn't a potential candidate.  XML parsers are a
very specific _application_, APR shouldn't be implementing applications,
just making it easier for others to do so.

cryptography code:  Yes.  And, it would be a good place to do so.  If I am
writing a portable program, I want to make sure that the cryptography is
as portable as possible, by putting it in APR, I know it is portable.

database access interfaces:  Maybe.  If this could be done generally
enough for it to be userful, I guess you could make an argument, but for
the most part, this is too program specific.

Postscript parsing:  No, too program specific to be included in APR.

WebDAV filesystem abstraction:  Too program specific to be included

Distributed DoS attacks:  I thought that was the original goal behind APR.
:-)

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131