httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: A couple of important features for 2.0
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2000 20:09:53 GMT

Well, there are a couple of things we can do to try to keep modules
backwards compatable.

1)  Add some void space at the end of internal structures to allow them to
grow without breaking binary compatability.

2)  Freeze the current API.  When a new feature is required, add a new
function instead of modifying the old one.

3)  Try to make the API dynamic.  (I'm not sure if this is even feasible).
Basically, the module registers the level of the API that it expects, and
we try to accomodate this.

I'm still looking into this issue.

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Tony Finch wrote:

> Ryan Bloom <> wrote:
> >
> >2)  Backwards compatability.  It would be VERY nice if we could figure out
> >some way to make modules backwards compatable within major releases.
> The only way I can think of doing this reliably (other than by
> freezing the API) is for modules to make all API calls via a vector of
> function pointers which is initialised when the module starts and
> tells the core what version of the API it is written to.
> Tony.
> --
> f.a.n.finch
> 320 the dimpled rind of remorselessness