httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0a2 ready for release?
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2000 21:39:02 GMT
On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 rbb@apache.org wrote:
> > I don't think it matters what is added or not. The question is, "does this
> > thing compile and run, and has it moved forward since the last release?"
> >
> > I presume that it still compiles/runs, and we've seen commits. Release
> > today if that strikes your fancy :-)
>
> I am still waiting until Friday, because I would like to get IOL in before
> the next alpha.

Not a problem. My main point was simply that I don't believe alphas need
to be bound to feature points. Release now, and release again when the
new feature is present.

> > btw, I would also suggest moving the 2.0 information *below* the 1.3 info
> > on the main httpd.html page at apache.org. We should be stressing 1.3 for
> > a while yet.
>
> I disagree.  It is very obvious that this is an alpha release, and is not
> recommended for most people.  We are stressing the most recent releases.
> If we release a 1.3.X, then it goes above 2.0.  When we release 2.0a2, we
> remove the 2.0a1 announcement.

This is a usability thing. People visiting that page could care less about
*when* a release is made. They are interested in the software itself, and
what will do the job for them. Apache 2.0 certainly will not, so we should
NOT be emphasizing it as the first item on the page. The 2.0 information
should always come after the 1.3 stuff.

Cheers,
-g

--