httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Config API / RE: Whacking access.conf, srm.conf, Makefile.tmpl
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2000 00:06:52 GMT
The config might not come from a file, so Apache would not be doing this
in the general case. The config-module could be doing this "inside".

Handling of comments is also managed "inside" the module. In each case, it
can be handled in a module-specific manner.

And don't worry about dynamic stuff right now (and the related issue of
writing it back out). That is at *least* step two to the problem. Mostly,
it will just create noise at this time :-)

There are three steps to the problem (as I see it for now):
1) config API for pluggable config data sources
2) write changes back to the config API
3) runtime query of config data (rather than current mechanism where the
   config system pushes the data into the modules)

Apache 2.0 *might* get (1) and *maybe* have a rough sketch for handling
(2). Step (2) might not even be handled in any of the provided config
mechanisms.

[ all TBD, of course, based on unknown levels of contributors... ]

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/