httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: License text in source
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2000 05:17:44 GMT
On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
> Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >
> > That's what I have in mind... Save some bytes (several actually),
> > make maintaining it much easier, and do the update to rev1.1.
> >
> > "tool"?? I was planning an ugly script that scanned the head of each
> > file for the License and then cut'ting that out and then pushing
> > the magical text/url/pointer/notice in. I like the idea of a
> > "tool" much better :)
>
> I am sorry. I'd prefer to a) leave this to the licence committe to
> answer

Why are we saying that "only" the license committee can talk about this
stuff? That seems a bit contrary to normal operation... I can agree that
some discussions can move faster with a small group, but it does seem a
bit wrong to try to censor the discussion here.

> If you put in a pointer; the thing that pointer points to can be changed
>  at any moment. A licence however
> is a thing you agree with at a specific moment in time for a specific
> file in time. This is especially important when you start to merge
> things from different open source projects (say re-use the ap_pool
> stuff, or mix & match modules from older versions). You cannot have the
> thing you agree to change at will :-)

Changing the license is definitely not an Easy Thing to do, nor should it
be done without ample consideration. However, we can easily handle the
issue about "freezing" a license. In mod_dav, I handle this by pointing to
a specific *version* of the license. Here is the relevant chunk of the
file header:

** By using this file, you agree to the terms and conditions set forth in
** the LICENSE.html file which can be found at the top level of the mod_dav
** distribution or at http://www.webdav.org/mod_dav/license-1.html.

In the future, if I ever update the license, I'd switch to -2 and tweak
all of the filse (an easy change). The above text is also pretty clear
that the file is subject to a license (much like how GNU handles it).

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/