httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@hbesoftware.com>
Subject Re: [module porting] mod_proxy
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2000 00:43:43 GMT
On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>
> > Well, suppose request /x is going to be proxied, the apache children that
> > got the request will be the one doing the proxying of the content.  In the
> > case of a mod_perl server, this is a potential problem, having a mod_perl
> > stuck proxying a 6MB file to a 28.8kps user.
>
> i think you have it backwards... the proxy shouldn't be running mod_perl
> -- a separate server should run mod_perl.
>
> then what you add to the proxy is support for buffering, say, 64Kb of the
> response and closing the server connection before finishing up with the
> client side.  that wins you lots on mod_perl servers 'cause the heavy
> processes get to be reused within a few ms of calculating their responses.

Yes, know that, just didn't think enough when I wrote my e-mail.  I should
read them over before sending them to mailing-lists :-).

That's true, but the problem is still there, even if it's a lightweight
httpd (non-mod_perl) serving the request, it's gonna be stuck for a while
with slow users anyway.  I know it's always been like that anyway, but
it's just something I was thinking about.

> Dean

| Philippe M. Chiasson  <gozer@hbesoftware.com> |
| SmartWorker http://www.smartworker.org        |
|     IM : gozerhbe  ICQ : gozer/18279998       |
Recycle bits please.
#!/usr/bin/perl
$a='#!/usr/bin/perl%c$a=%c%s%c;printf($a,10,39,$a,39,10);%c';printf($a,10,39,$a,39,10);