httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: returning statuses in apr
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2000 01:14:00 GMT

Every discussion we had about status codes said EVERY function returns a
status code.  We could remove this requirement, but I would rather not.
It makes it very easy for people using APR functions to ALWAYS know the
basic setup for an apr function.

Ryan

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, Life is hard, and then you die. wrote:

> Looking at lib/apr/lib/apr_md5.c I have a question:
>
> Why are the functions returning ap_status_t when nothing can go
> wrong? (i.e. all they ever return is APR_SUCCESS). Any reason
> not to revert back to returning void? I vaguely remember various
> discussions around return values, but I don't recall (and couldn't
> find) anything about having *every* function return a status.
>
> The cvs log entry where this happened reads
>
>   Begin to update apr/lib files to follow the standard APR function format.
>   This is the incredibly low hanging fruit, where all I am doing is
>   standardizing the return codes for functions that already returned int's.
>
> but the functions returned void before... (with the exception of
> ap_validate_password(), but that's not what I'm talking about).
>

>   Cheers,
>
>   Ronald

Conference!!!   <http://ApacheCon.Com/>

406 29th St.