httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject RE: Replacement of WARNING.NT proposed - side thread
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2000 01:08:39 GMT
On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> If what James and I propose is a windows-read-me.txt - then I agree with
> Ryan's proposal, provided we change the name to WARNING-WIN-95-98.TXT.
>
> Please see my additional ideas inline.  Remember who many of our 95/98 users
> are, so we need to keep this language pretty basic.
>
> I will wait till the end of the day Monday to push for these two changes to
> be committed, so we can hear any additional feedback.

I don't have any problem with any of your changes.  My writing style tends
to be very informal (to the chagrin of my wife/editor).  I still don't
understand the need for a windows specific readme.  What I read  in your
readme, is basically a rehash of what has already been said in the README
file, plus the part about not supporting Win9X fully.  Unless we are
adding something that I have missed to this file, I don't see it as
necessary.

Ryan

> > From: rbb@shell.ntrnet.net [mailto:rbb@shell.ntrnet.net]On Behalf Of
> >
> > I think I've missed something.  This doesn't really say
> > anything new.  I
> > think if we are going to replace the WARNING-NT.TXT file, it should be
> > with something simple like:
> >
> > WARNING:  Although the Win32 release of Apache has been brought up to the
>
> s/Apache has been brought up/Apache 2.0 is engineered to/
>
> > same standard as the Unix release, we do not recommend using it on the
> > Win9X series in a production environment.  These platforms were not
>
> s/Win9X series/Windows 95 or 98 operating systems/
>
> s/platforms/consumer systems/
>
> > designed as server platforms, and do not support some of the features
> > required for a flexible, secure server.  These platforms are
> > well suited for testing the server and cgi-scripts.
>
> s/cgi-scripts/developing web sites/
> a/Please refer to the file win32-read-me.txt file for more specific
> details./
>

> > That's enough to let people know that the Win32 release is
> > finally up to
> > snuff, and that we are supporting Win9X, but we don't recommend using
> > them, because they may not be full-featured.
> >
> > Ryan
> >

> > On Sat, 4 Mar 2000, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> >
> > > Pre Alpha-2.0 - would anyone else (esp. Mr. Stoddard &
> > other big Win32
> > > contributors) please comment aye or nay (or at least offer
> > changes.)  If we
> > > will really be releasing a solid Win32 build this time,
> > it's time for
> > > WARNING-NT to go.
> > >
> > > Replace WARNING-NT.TXT with a new WIN32-READ-ME.TXT (rev
> > 0.13) proposed by
> > >       James Sutherland [mailto:jas88@cam.ac.uk]
> > >       William A. Rowe, Jr. [mailto:wrowe@lnd.com]

Conference!!!   <http://ApacheCon.Com/>