httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Hess" <sc...@avantgo.com>
Subject Re: Can't make sense out of process configuration directives
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2000 22:10:30 GMT
On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Scott Hess wrote:
> > StartProcesses specifies how many processes you want Apache to bring
> > up at launch.
>
> Yes, but the point was made that nobody cares how many are brought up at
> start time (i.e. t==0). Instead, it seems more appropriate to define the
> constraints at t>0. What is the min/max and how many extra should be
> sitting around?

The point my posting made is that I _do_ care how many are brought up at
start time (i.e. t==0).  If I know that I'm likely to be able to fill 50
requests immediately after startup, then I want to be able to tell Apache
to be prepared to fill 50 requests immediately after startup.  This is a
distinctly different option from requesting that I want to have N spares
sitting around at any given time.

Later,
scott