httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject PCRE license (was: Wrapping the regex functions for 2.0)
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2000 07:17:19 GMT
On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 01:37:14AM -0500, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> > I've brought this up before without an answer
>
> There was an answer sent to the list. The license is Apache-like, if
> not more lenient.

PCRE is bundled inside Python, which definitely has a more lenient
license. If Python can do it, then we can :-)

The PCRE site is at:
    ftp://ftp.cus.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programs/pcre/

Here is the license (from V3.1; pcre-3.1/LICENCE):
PCRE LICENCE
------------

PCRE is a library of functions to support regular expressions whose syntax
and semantics are as close as possible to those of the Perl 5 language.

Written by: Philip Hazel <ph10@cam.ac.uk>

Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.

Copyright (c) 1997-2000 University of Cambridge

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose on any
computer system, and to redistribute it freely, subject to the following
restrictions:

1. This software is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

2. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented, either by
   explicit claim or by omission.

3. Altered versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be
   misrepresented as being the original software.

4. If PCRE is embedded in any software that is released under the GNU
   General Purpose Licence (GPL), then the terms of that licence shall
   supersede any condition above with which it is incompatible.

End

Cheers,
-g

--