httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: remove dirs from CVS?
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2000 02:36:46 GMT
On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 rbb@apache.org wrote:

> I know that will keep me from getting them, but we really don't have
> anything in those directories anymore, and I would prefer if we could just
> get rid of them all together.  Are you telling me that once you add a
> directory to the CVS repository, that directory stays there forever?

Yes.  CVS doesn't version directories themselves, so you can't just remove
one.  Even if there is nothing there anymore, the whole point is that there
used to be something there, so CVS has to be able to support the version
of things where there was something there.  Aside from not being
able to access old versions of files if you below it away, it also
causes client nasties if you just blow away directories and there are
checked out copies that still have the non-empty directory.

That is one reason I always use -P in updates or checkouts.