httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Randy Terbush" <ra...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: binary backwards compatability.
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:43:59 GMT

> On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Randy Terbush wrote:
> > > I agree with Dean that a module should not be allowed to run
> *if* Apache
> > > is newer than the module (as defined by MAJOR); there is no
> way the module
> > > could know if its use of Apache has changed or not.
> > > [ I think that Dean was only looking in one direction of time... ]
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > -g
> >
> > But of course it can know... the module vendor has seen the
> source changes
> > and knows if they can continue to release their version for the
> new Apache
> > server version. As it stands, Apache decides for them.  Your making an
> > assumption that the module has no knowledge of the changes in
> the server.
>
> We're talking about binaries here. A given binary module definitely has no
> knowledge about *future* changes in the server. Therefore, if the MAJOR
> has been updated, then then binary module simply cannot run -- request_rec
> may have been obsoleted for all it knows.
>
> Sure, you could go recompile the source and re-release a binary that
> states, "yes, I work with this newer MAJOR because I've determined that
> the changes do not affect the module and/or I've compensated for them."
> But that means a recompile.
>
> Cheers,
> -g

Misunderstanding here.

The goal is to allow the binary module vendors the ability to determine if
we can run on future versions of Apache. As it currently stands, a change
can be made to the server and the MMN can be changed which causes any
existing binary modules to fail to load. It is entirely possible that there
is no good reason for this and had the server not refused to run because of
an MMN mismatch, the binary module would still continue to work on that
newer Apache release. The module vendor knows whether it can safely run
based on the changes to the API and can make a decision whether to support
their module on the newer Apache, or do another release.

This is a simple problem that could nearly be solved if the server did not
have the final decision as to whether to run the binary module. Solving this
would go a long way toward convincing other companies doing add-ons for
Netscape, IIS, etc. to port their application to Apache.