httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Randall <crand...@matchlogic.com>
Subject RE: Time for a 2.0o alpha.
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2000 21:17:34 GMT
They're just two different approaches.

The prefork MPM is always the fallback. By asking people to specifically
build and test the prefork MPM (in addition to any other testing they want
to do), you can feel fairly confident that the fallback works everywhere it
is supposed to.

For example, Ralf was the release manager for at least one release. One of
the things I appreciated with his approach was that he published a
configuration and build procedure (really just a consistent set of options
to "configure"). If that worked everywhere, everything looked good.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: rbb@apache.org [mailto:rbb@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 1:28 PM
To: new-httpd@apache.org
Subject: RE: Time for a 2.0o alpha.

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Charles Randall wrote:

> I'd like to suggest that you publish a minimum set of procedures for
> platform testing before an alpha release. At a minimum, this should the
> prefork MPM on all Unix-like platforms.

I guess I don't understand the need for this.  The platform testing
procedure would be the same as for any other Apache alpha.  People will
test it the same way they would use it in real life.  Hopefully this means
some people will use prefork, some will use dexter, and some will use
mpmt_pthread.

Ryan

Conference!!!   <http://ApacheCon.Com/>

___
2121 Stonehenge Dr. Apt #3
Raleigh, NC 27615		Ryan Bloom -- thinker, adventurer, artist,
				     writer, but mostly, friend.
---