httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Marr <gr...@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject Re: [patch apr-xplat.diffs] APR 2.0 - linkage mechanisms
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2000 18:17:09 GMT
At 09:38 AM 03/30/2000, Bill Stoddard wrote:
>You briefly mentioned in earlier notes that you created a build
>tree. What
>does this buy us wrt to how its done now?  If this is a good thing
>to do, it
>should be added to Apache 2.0 as a distinct patch, not glommed in
>with other
>functional/structural changes.

Since that was my proposal, I guess I should comment on it.

Whenever I work on a project that has multiple DSPs, especially when
the project is under revision control, I try to keep all the
generated files in one directory tree isolated somewhat from the
source.  This allows for two things: I can delete an entire build
without invoking the build system, simply by deleting the "Build"
directory, and when doing a diff between the revision control
system's files and my local tree, the diff stops at the top of the
build tree.  It sees that it doesn't have a "Build" directory, and
doesn't recurse into it.  If the build directories are spread all
over the place, then every single one of them gets reported as a
difference.

--
Greg Marr
gregm@alum.wpi.edu