httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Marr <gr...@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject Re: Win Build System
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2000 15:48:38 GMT
At 09:27 AM 03/23/2000, Bill Stoddard wrote:
>At 10:28 PM 03/22/2000, Greg Marr wrote:
>>Here's a new set of VC++ projects and a workspace for people to
>>take shots at.
>What problem are we fixing with these changes?

The problem is the high startup cost for Windows developers who use
the VC++ IDE and want to work on Apache (such as myself.)

1) There is currently no workspace available for people who use VC++
from the IDE as opposed to the command line.  Anyone who wishes to
build Apache from the IDE has to build their own workspace, and a
makefile DSP to wrap Makefile.win.  The build warnings and errors
from this type of DSP do not have path information, which disable the
features of the IDE that make getting to those warning/error
locations easy.

2) When using Makefile.win from the IDE, the sub projects aren't
available for easy access.  They also aren't available for any of the
advanced features of VC++ 6.0 such as IntelliSense, ClassView.

3) The existing Makefile.win isn't exactly the easiest thing in the
world to maintain.  The patches greatly reduce the amount of makefile
code that has to be written by hand.  (It's practically nothing now.)

4) There have been recent reports of problems with the %LONG% and
%SHORT% expansions in the makefile not being done, causing build
failures.

5) Configuring which modules are included in the build once they're
in the workspace is a matter of checking or unchecking boxes in a
list.  If you don't want to use the IDE, you can also open Apache.mak
and comment out the lines that build that module.

--
Greg Marr
gregm@alum.wpi.edu