httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Marr <gr...@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject Re: Win32 Build Structure
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:25:21 GMT
At 11:09 AM 03/21/2000, you wrote:
> > I finally got a chance to download and build Apache 2.0 on my NT
> box
> > last night.  I was wondering about the makeup of the build
> > system.  The top-level Makefile.nt is just an NMAKE makefile, and
> > there is no workspace, while all of the subprojects it calls are
> mak
> > files generated from .DSP files, each with their own workspace
> (or at
> > least some with their own workspace.)
> >
> > Is there any reason that the top-level makefile is not also a DSP,
> > with an exported .mak?
>
>Replacing Makefile.win with a DSP seems overkill.

>I removed Makefile.nt from the 2.0 tree last night and replaced it
>with Makefile.win, which should work for all the Windows distributions.

Well, it depends on how the DSP/DSW are written.  I haven't seen the
Makefile.win yet, but I'll take a shot at the DSP/DSW tonight and
send them to the list so people can take a look at them and see what
they think.  It'll probably mostly be a wrapper around a reduced
version of Makefile.win for the installation part, and dependencies
on the other already-existing DSPs.  It will also have the advantage
for people who work in the IDE that they'll have all the projects
available in the workspace for easy access.

>Makefile.win is really simple and it's easy to quickly edit it to
>adjust which modules you build, etc. I am more of a Unix person than
>a Windows person (I use cygwin32, vim, emacs, et. al.), so maybe I'm
>biased :-)

I've been a Unix person a lot longer (9 years) than I've been a
Windows developer (3 years).  I have Emacs installed on multiple
machines, but don't use it as much for Windows development.  I am a
Windows software developer, so I use VC++ constantly at work, and
prefer it when developing on Windows, so I have easy access to the
help and the integration with the compiler is very good.  I do use
Emacs and gcc/g++ when working on Unix boxes.

--
Greg Marr
gregm@alum.wpi.edu