httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Travis <jtra...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: libltdl?
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2000 17:54:17 GMT
I'll take a stab at this, Ryan,

We are not talking about creating shared libraries -- only using them.  David is
correct.  However, in response to his note:
"If we're going down the full Libtool path then whyd we need a dso directory?"
The answer is very simple:  Someone has done the work for us to having working
shared library support on many many platforms, with a common interface.  This
takes care of a ton of our supported operating systems.  Now then, Why don't we
use ltdl everywhere?  What happens on windows?  Isn't this what APR is all about?
Just create a new directory under the dso directory, for handling these other
operating systems.  This is exactly what my patches put into place for Os/2, etc.

WRT 'why we need libtool', I think this is a temporary issue while Ralf finishes
his code for dsotool.  Keep in mind though that his dsotool will just be another
'library' or utility that APR will have to rely on (the same as libtool).  The way
you are talking about solving this problem, it sounds like you want to re-write
libtool within APR.  Be my guest.. ;-)

If we remove libtool stuff form APR (i.e. don't like with libltdl), then Apache
will be cluttered with different implementations of how to load shared libraries,
which is what APR is all about.

-- Jon